AdSense

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

So Where Do I Start?

I guess - in a way - I'll start where I left off. In my last blog, The Chopsaw Diaries, I was looking at clothing and equipment from the perspective of preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse. I was focused on the kinds of things you would need to get through tough times.

Now I'm looking at it as though it's already over. I want to focus on freedom and self-expression rather than survival. Face it; most Americans are living in survival now and have been for some time. It's time to stop surviving and start living.

We've come to a time when we are inundated with a staggering number of choices, but everything looks the same and nothing has any soul. It's all about features and benefits, not quality, durability and integrity. The old saying is true; "They don't make 'em the way they used to."

There are exceptions to that, of course, and Maxpedition is one of them. I have owned Maxpedition products for several years now and it is one of my intentions to become an authorized dealer. But for now I'll just talk about what I have.

So, where I'm picking up from my last blog is my backpack; a Maxpedition Falcon 2 in OD Green. I have had it for over five years, used very often, and it's still in great condition. Their stuff is built to last. It's also versitile and can be customized an infinite number of ways. The look of mine has changed many times over the last five years. This is what it looks like now:


I've lightened it up a bit recently, both in weight and in attitude. I removed the Monkey Combat Admin Pouch and replaced it with a military-issue patch panel. The khaki pouch on the side is a Maxpedition M-2 Waistpack, replacing an M-5. The furry thing is a bloody bear claw from a Japanese character named Gloomy Bear. I replaced the OD green zipper pulls with purple. I like the look much better.

Here's the other side:


The round pouch is a Tactical Can Case. It was designed to hold two cans of chewing tobacco or something similar, but it also works perfectly for carrying my iPhone charger and headphones. ( I use Skullcandy Smokin' Buds, not those shitty Apple headphones.) The zombie has been a mascot for quite a while. I'll write a post about toys in the near future.

Another one of the front:


I did have a locking carabiner on there, but I replaced it with an orange Tac-Link. I'm working towards my 37 pices of flair. The patches are from Mil-Spec Monkey.

My brother commented that it looks like a kid's backpack. That's the idea. Somewhere along the line, we are force-fed the idea that when we "grow up" we have to give up our sense of playfulness and that we can't express ourselves in childlike ways. I say that idea is bullshit. Do what you want.

I'm really loving purple and green together. More about that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment